LOT 1 – THE DEANERY
Grade II* listed on account of its important history and interesting architecture, The Deanery is an exceptional and intriguing home. The property has strong ecclesiastical connections and was for many years the country residence of the Deans of Canterbury Cathedral. The Georgian house seen today stems from a major restoration that took place in about 1738 and incorporates many features from the much earlier house on the site, including the walls of the Great Hall (built in 1303) and the crownposts from the roof of the solar (built in 1394).
The house is approached over a gravel driveway that wraps around the converted brick barn and arrives at the main entrance, which is framed by the elegant eighteenth century six pillared porch.
The former Great Hall is a magnificent reception hall and entertaining space and has a striking bifurcating staircase and period fireplace. There are three well-proportioned reception rooms, with oak flooring throughout and shutters to the windows. The farmhouse kitchen/breakfast room is well fitted, with modern equipment. Beyond are a scullery, a utility room, a boot room and a dog room which lead to the kitchen garden.
A second staircase is situated on the North side of the house, linking to the galleried landing overlooking the great hall. To the East of the house are three double bedrooms, all with sash windows, and a family bathroom.
Within the West wing, the dual aspect principal suite is arranged across four rooms, one of which doubles as a fifth bedroom; the suite is currently arranged as a bedroom with doors to a west-facing balcony, a dressing room, principal bathroom and library, and a steam shower room.
Agent’s Note: Lot 2 (Deanery Cottage) will not be sold before Lot 1
To the front of the house, lawns interspersed with mature specimen trees are divided by the gravel driveway, which continues past the house; a rear drive returns to Parish Road. The more formal gardens lie to the rear of the house and are enclosed by traditional brick walls and high fencing.
Past the main formal lawn is the moat, restored and lined about 12 years ago, with filtering and dams to control the water level. Beyond are two well planted parterres with a central statue which provide a focal point for the main views from the house. An avenue of trees leads to the ancient orchard found at the foot of the garden.
A large orangery is built against the wall and contains a mature vine. There are two external store rooms, which are used to store garden tools.
The property is situated on the rural outskirts of the popular residential village of Chartham in an extremely accessible location. The village has a good selection of amenities including local shops, primary school, doctor’s surgery, public house and railway station with frequent services to London and Ashford International. The M2/A2 is accessed to the north.
Canterbury, Ashford and Faversham all offer an array of widely regarded shops, leisure and recreational facilities, and the immediate area offers a good selection of schooling in both state and private sectors.