A splendid former Victorian rectory set in delightful gardens and grounds of approximately 9 acres with a useful range of outbuildings and found in a beautiful location in the Wye Valley.DescriptionGreystone House is a beautiful country residence set in approximately 9 acres of delightful gardens, grounds and level pasture.LocationWinforton is found 6 miles from Hay-on-Wye, 8 miles from Kington and 151⁄2 miles from Hereford.
Hay-on-Wye is a popular border market town, famous for its annual literary festival and a popular tourist destination. The town is found in the heart of the Wye Valley and on the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park. Kington is also a popular market town offering local amenities and services along with a high school. The village of Eardisley is near by offers a public house with a post office, a village shop and a primary school.
Private educational institutions can be found at Hereford Cathedral School in Hereford or at Christ Collage in Brecon.
The Wye Valley area is known for its outstanding natural beauty and offers an abundance of outdoor activities including fishing, riding, walking and canoeing. Golfing opportunities are available at Rhosgoch Golf Club, Kington Golf Club and the Herefordshire Golf Club, Wormsley.HistoryGreystone House was originally designed in 1861 by Thomas Nicholson, Diocesan Architect and surveyor, as a Rectory for the Reverend Thomas Kearsey Thomas. The diarist Francis Kilvert visited the property whilst attending a Harvest Festival in 1871. In 1931 the house was sold to Professor Thomas Merton, an eminent scientist and inventor who is credited as one of the team who created a black paint which rendered aircraft almost invisible by search light.AccommodationOn entering the property through the front door into the entrance hallway there is a study immediately on the left-hand side with a window to the front and a fireplace.
The two principal reception rooms are of exceptional proportion with a fireplace and bay window in the sitting room and a window with a full length sash window leading out into the garden from the dining room and sitting rooms.
The kitchen has a door leading directly outside and is well equipped with drawer and cupboard storage, granite worksurfaces, an electric cooker and an oil-fired AGA. Throughout the ground floor there are further ancillary rooms with utility and wash areas and a useful workshop.
On the first floor there are seven bedrooms with bedroom four having a wash hand basin and the master bedroom having a dressing room. There is a large family bathroom and a back staircase which leads down to the rear corridor.
Overall, the property is presented in excellent order, having been a beautifully maintained and much-loved family home for the last 40 years and offers a wonderful opportunity for anyone seeking a glorious piece of Herefordshire.OutsideThe property is accessed via a tree lined sweeping driveway into a gravel parking and turning area. Immediately behind the house there is a courtyard which gives access to the former coach house which is now used as a garage with a loft above. There are further small outbuildings and store areas and the opportunity, subject to the necessary planning consents, to create further ancillary accommodation.
The gardens are a delight, having been carefully created by the current owners. Mature copper beech, magnolia, pine and oak trees surround lawns and perennial borders which are well stocked with flowering trees and shrubs, including some rarities such as eucryphia, manna ash, mulberry, medlar and arbutus. There is also a productive vegetable garden with orchard and soft fruit, two greenhouses and a potting shed.
The land itself is all level and separated in to three principal enclosures and has the benefit of roadside access.TenureFreehold with vacant possession upon completion.Council Tax BandHerefordshire Council Band “G”.ServicesWe are advised that the property is connected to mains electricity, private water, private drainage and oil-fired central heating. The property is also served by PV panels including a feed-in tariff. Please note the services and service installations have not been tested.DirectionsFrom Hay-on-Wye proceed out of town onto the B4351 and continue to Clyro. At the T junction turn right onto the A438, continuing through Bronydd, Whitney-on-Wye and on the the village of Winforton. Proceed through Winforton and on entering the 40 mph zone take the 1st turning on the left-hand side.
What3words ref: lightens.moves.paintingViewing And Contact DetailsAll viewings must be arranged through the sole selling agents Sunderlands.
Contact tel: Office opening hours: Mon-Fri 9.00-17.00 Sat 9.00-12.00
Out of hours contact: Harry Aldrich-Blake